Friday, March 16, 2007

cupping?

Okay so today was kind of unexpectedly eventful - and this continues the saga of my overwhelming, coffee-nerdism.
I dropped off kristen at work and she was just gonna go in for a meeting for a few hours so I just was going to hang out downtown Seattle instead of driving all the way home and all the way back. I effectively killed some time at the Japanese market in the international district, ate some super-yummy Thai fast food in the food court, but the truely coolness happened when I left for my usual cafe Victrola.
Well I drew for a while, sipping some coffee and a small Macchiatto down, when a lady came out asking everyone if anyone would be interested in coming to a cupping session in the other room. Everyone else just looked bewildered, but I actually knew what she was talking about so I raised my hand and followed her to a special room they had set up.
Basically, what we did was smell, and taste all the single origin coffee's that they had (and some that they never sell to the public) one after the other so that you get an understanding of how they differ.



It was friggen amazing (not to mention a completely random thing to find myself doing). It was also just myself, 3 coffee roaster people and a photographer from the Capitol hill times (and I guess I might be in the paper this wednesday).
This might not seem like such a big deal but I don't get out much, what can I say?! It was fun to me.

1 comment:

DINTOONS said...

haha, nice adventure! and great self portrait on your profile... :o)
oh and the pumpkin face animation is AMAZING!!! :O